Bridging Business and Faith to transform the economic and spiritual community in which we live and work
5 Tips for Networking Success
by Clara Rose
Networking is not a skill we are born with. Sure some people are natural communicators who love the group setting but that does not guarantee successful networking. The skillset needed to effectively network is learned over time, or taught by an experienced networker. Here are the first 5 things I discuss with new clients when we talk about networking successfully:
- Have plenty of business cards and keep them handy, use a holder that is easy to keep with you and that will keep your cards looking fresh. Your card should clearly convey what your business does and your role.
- Make good eye contact, this lets them know they have your attention and you are really listening. Connection starts with eye contact.
- Have a firm handshake, this displays confidence and implies character strength. Both are perceived as more professional.
- Read their name off their card when they hand it to you, the combination of reading it, saying it and looking at them increases memory retention.
- Have a follow-up plan and USE it, I like EyeJot (video email) as a follow-up tool. Video email will get your name, face, logo and voice in front of them one more time. It required NO technical skill but the payoff is huge. Most people respond, even if it’s just to say how cool it was! Get a free account at WWW.GetEyeJot.com.
If networking does not come naturally to you, give yourself some grace. Pay attention to how others are interacting and notice what is working and what is not. Practice, practice and practice some more.
Reprinted with permission. http://clararose.com/